Mark Guzdial <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> The question of what motivates people to learn to program is an open and
> interesting research question--
[snip]
> - At the low end: CMU's Software Engineering Institute estimates that
> there are at least two and as many as ten times end-user programmers as
> there are professional software developers today.  What motivates
> someone to pick up programming without any previous background (and
> without, presumably, any desire to make it a profession)?

So this particular question *is* rather well researched, largely
by members of the EUSES consortium (End-Users Shaping Effective
Software), of which CMU is indeed a member.

Consortium members are currently preparing a review publication
which will deal with this question fairly thoroughly, but for an
early answer based on previous research, my own 2002 paper has
stood the test of time pretty well:

Blackwell, A.F. (2002). First steps in programming: A rationale
for Attention Investment models. In IEEE Symposia on
Human-Centric Computing Languages and Environments, pp. 2-10.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~afb21/publications/HCC02a.pdf

For more information on the research of the EUSES consortium:
http://eusesconsortium.org/

Alan
--
Alan Blackwell           Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/afb21/       Phone: +44 (0) 1223 334418