Walter Milner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>A while back Papert in Mindstorms proposed that young children be taught to
>program in Logo, and that this would enhance their cognitive development and
>expose them to 'powerful ideas'.

I don't know if the programming language has as much of an impact as the kids'
age and their desire to learn programming.  From my (limited) knowledge of
child psychology I wouldn't want to try and teach anyone under the age of
about 12-13 programming, because you'd end up having to use a very constrained
concepts and programming techniques, and more or less run into a brick wall in
some areas until their mental development advances.

Secondly, you can't just turn anyone into a programmer.  In the 1980s there
were kids learning to program using 6502 and Z80 assembly language, hardly a
friendly environment, but what made it work is that they really *wanted* to do
this.  You can lead a kid to a computer, but most of them will only want to
play Counterstrike.

Peter.