On Jul 31, 2007, at 11:15 PM, Linda McIver wrote:

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned John Pane's PhD work yet.
John actually did research (gasp) on how kids naturally specify
problem solutions, and came up with a system that allowed them to do
all kinds of neat programming in what was, according to his research,
a fairly natural way.  HANDS, I think it was called, or that might
have been a precursor - I haven't looked at this stuff in years.

I don't know if any follow up work has been done, but the system John
came up with was pretty cute.  I don't have the references to hand,
but it was part of the Natural Programming Project - I dare say a
search of Brad Myers' pages would find it!

HANDS is the name of the system.  The system allows the programmer
to create two-dimensional games and simulations using language constructs which are more "natural" than traditional programming languages and systems.

HANDS has been recently updated to run with Java 5.0. and OS X 10.4.

A number of papers (including John Pane's thesis) and information concerning
HANDS can be found by following links on the following page:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pane/research.html

Jeffrey Edgington
University of Denver