From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Errol Thompson
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2007 08:02
To: discuss@ppig.org
Subject: RE: PPIG discuss: When agile goes bad....

>From a quick look at the article, I would agree with many of its points.
However, I would also suggest reading beyond our own domain and I am
particularly thinking of Thomas Kuhn's (1996) work on Scientific
Revolutions.

A key issue there is how our paradigms for our field of research can close
us off to other equally valid and possibly challenging perspectives. I don't
want to reduce the rigour required in research but neither do I want to
discard an alternative paradigm within my field without fully exploring its
foundations and understanding whether it has anything to contribute. If I am
to do this then I need to be able to put aside some of my own paradigm
blinkers and seek to find maybe another framework for evaluating the
solution. This what I would contend is not happening in the debate related
to agile methods.

Kuhn, T. S. (1996). The structure of scientific revolutions (3rd ed.).
Chicago: University of Chicago.