A marvellous analysis of the reasons for the "mathematical"
(or formal) versus human orientation in software engineering can
be found in Phil Agre's chapter "Conceptions of the user in
computer system design". So far as I know, his observations
regarding the "user" as human person have not been extended to
observations about the software engineer as human person.

I offer this as a research opportunity to somebody out there ...

Agre, Philip (1995) Conceptions of the user in computer system
design. In P. Thomas (ed.) Social and Interactional Dimensions of
Human-Computer Interfaces. Cambridge, CUP, pp. 67-106.

Alan
--
Alan Blackwell           Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/afb21/       Phone: +44 (0) 1223 334418