From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Ruven E Brooks
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 6:00 PM
To: discuss@ppig.org
Subject: PPIG discuss: Documentation for large systems

I have just been given the assignment of investigating techniques for
documenting a 1.5 million line system.

Suppose that you were hired (at an outrageous salary, of course) to be the
chief architect of this system.
If you could have a 20 page initial document on the internal structure of
this system, what would that document contain?

My own initial thought was some kind of box-and-line major subsystems
document but the exact semantics of the boxes
and the lines is still open.  My superprogrammer colleague suggested that
what he wanted was a list of the actual files
that were installed, together with an explanation of each one.

Other thoughts, suggestions are welcome.

Ruven Brooks