Gaspar, Alessio (USF Lakeland) wrote:
I can understand the love'em / hate'm positions regarding wikis, however I couldn't help but notice that some of the arguments below are very close to what used to be said by corporations about open source projects and development methodologies All wikis don't have to be wikipedias; they can help build collaboratively information without anonymous contributions and with clearly defined participation roles from the team members. In such a context, it can still simplify collective review and speeds up the turn around time. We're probably dealing with the classical reaction / counter-reaction surrounding any new technology; step #1 "it'll solve all our problems!"
step #2 "wait, it is now our main problem"
step #3 "we should use it only for what it's good for..."

Hmm, step #3 is frequently different in my experience, as in:

 step #1 "it'll solve all our problems!"
 step #2 "wait, it is now our main problem"
 step #3 "look, here's another shiny new paradigm!"

For example,

  step #1:  Wiki will solve all our problems!
  step #2:  wait, now it is our main problem
  step #3:  you're not using Agile Wiki methods. [later] Correctly.

I find it a little amusing to note that Ruven asked for the *content* of a static document in a producer-consumer context and the discussion has turned to the merits of an active, collaborative documentation *infrastructure*.

It makes me think about the classic arguments espousing "active" learning/discovering (as opposed to, say, transfer theories of learning). Might be interesting to compare the ROI of (a) the manpower used to create a 20 page document against (b) providing that same manpower as research/development aids for the incoming Chief Architect during her acclimation period.

Andrew