Have you run the server with a profiler attached (such as jprobe, yourkit, etc.)?

Are you load testing at a steady state? I.e., are you just running the same request over and over in a loop? Or something more complicated?

Are you on a single-core CPU for the test or one core for the load tester and one core for the server or what? I.e., what's your test setup?

What's your server setup? What version of the which JVM are you using, what flags, etc.?

Anyway, the short answer is very likely a GC issue. Whether or not there's much for you to do about will depend on all of the specifics. Use a profiler and find out.

Have fun,
John