On Friday, December 06, 2013 15:43:22 Omar Rassi wrote:
> Philip,
>
> First, you are right about the confusion about the junk pile and donations
> pile. I discussed this with a Champion and we are clarifying this VERY soon
> because it is very important to avoid this kind of confusion. Second, to
> dispel any feeling that anyone was worried about you, that is false, I put
> it back in the storage room because that is our storage room for member
> projects and synhak property. The recent donations had not gone their
> because they had not been sorted yet.

Except it isn't SYNHAK property. It is stuff that *nobody* wants to do
anything with. If someone claims something from the donation pile, then they
are free to do whatever they want with it, but it needs to leave that area. If
their next step is to fit it into SYNHAK's infrastructure, then it remains
SYNHAK's.

If their next step is to make something, then I feel that they're free to
claim it as their own, *regardless of membership status*. Seriously, you don't
need to be a member to stop in one day of the year and happen to see the exact
hardware that you need to finish your project.

We are an infrastructure provider for creative people. Part of that
infrastructure is having a physical location for people to drop off unused
equipment and others to use it to continue to create.

We are not an infrastructure provider for members of SYNHAK. Members of SYNHAK
support the hackerspace. They are not the hackerspace. They provide the funds
to keep the lights on and have the right to shape the space through direct
involvement, as opposed to trying to convince someone who can to do it for
them.

> I was not able to get to the rest of the computing equipment until the
> festivities were over and I have done so, though the desktops have not yet
> been looked at. I have no issues with helping anyone with their computer
> equipment and answering questions and I am more than happy to help you with
> your HP as I'm an experience repair technician however, that particular HP
> that was in the donation pile is of great use to synhak and should not have
> been left at the junk pile (the differentiation between junk and donations
> will be rectified).
>
> Of the donation of those computer equipment, I have already identified some
> things that going right back to the junk pile as it is just too old to be
> of use to synhak, newer equipment may be put to use as a computer, for a
> project or resold to maintain our operating funds. I expect that this will
> be an important topic of discussion this coming meeting, fleshing out a
> clear and precise donation/scrapping procedure (I hate the word policy). I
> was a manager for a thrift store for a time so I'll see about drafting a
> generic procedure for the membership to modify as we choose.
>
> The basic foundation of all donations to Synhak is that it belongs to
> Synhak until we (by we, I mean any member, it doesn't have to be me, I.E. A

No. No, no, no, no. Please see above. The stuff in the junk pile is *not*
automatically SYNHAK's property! Just because it shows up doesn't mean it is
instantly part of our infrastructure. This is a very dangerous idea, as it
restricts access to our resources to only people who pay their dues and have
jumped through the hoops to become a full member. Again, infrastructure
provider. Not members-only workshop.

> member appropriated something from the recent donations for his own project
> before I got a chance to look at it and therefore it is not included in my
> recent report) can determine their future purpose, we are not a recycling
> facility for e-waste, but will work with members, the community, and local
> recycling centers to ensure all donations get maximum use/reuse. The
> general public may then use recent donations during our open hours once our
> members have had enough time to figure out what these donations can be used
> for, ALL of the equipment seen at synhak, computers, monitors, mixers,
> soldering tools, welders, saws, power tools, projector, etc. were donated
> and then repaired/refurbished and then set up for public use. I promise
> that everyone will get a chance to use donations including the general
> public but we have to think about our members and our operating costs first.

That is not the protocol. If it is, please correct me so it can get changed
through the proper channel of a proposal.