Alex: I'm sure we could incorporate some sort of digital voting. My
feelings on the matter are this: We are a physical space. Meetings happen
once a week for on average 50 minutes. We have significant online presence
for members, associate members, and friends of the space to voice their
concerns. At some point members need to come to the space otherwise why are
they giving us money and filling out paperwork?  Additionally, we already
allow for proxy voting with no limit on representation so long as the
intention is made known.

Regarding the wording of the proposal:
** Not everyone has to agree with the reason for a block to be valid, it
just
has to be clearly stated.

I understand the sentiment behind the phrasing but there's enough wiggle
room here for unintended consequences. I have no solution to the issue. Not
everyone will agree concerns are valid. There should be a set of criteria
that define a valid block  so we don't end up with 3 people who hate Jersey
Shore blocking any applications from New Jersey Natives.

* Proposals and membership applications may be permitted to be blocked at
any
point up until the membership application or proposal is approved, for as
long
as six weeks.

Proposals range from saving the space from immanent disaster and financial
ruin to releasing funds to paint the bike shed.  6 weeks is a long time.
Perhaps a shorter time should be considered, though with the current rules
it takes 6 days(minutes 10-30/2012) for a proposal to be brought to a
vote/consensus -AFTER- the wording has been agreed on. Even if we allow for
'emergency' board action as a stopgap we've only bought ourselves a day
since all board meetings and agendae(was this codified?) must be announced
5 days in advance. Sure, we want to avoid scenarios where an active
minority  out-participate the majority just as we want to keep the majority
from brute forcing the minority  but 6 weeks is a long time for a decision
that impacts how the community and perhaps the corporation conduct
themselves.

Is a complex majority the answer, 66, 75, 80, 90% ? There's already a
degree of uncertainty in that voting only counts members present. Granted
as was brought up tonight, perhaps an oversimplification, if someone
doesn't attend the meeting or arrange for a proxy their feelings on the
matter weren't all that strong.

Torrie: As a clarification; How are we going to decide on this matter? Your
email seems to indicate we currently operate as majority(mob?) rule  and
the overall desire is to change that. I'm inferring from your stance at the
meeting that you want consensus(100% agreement/support) in the matter but I
don't want to put words in your mouth.

regards,
Andrew L