TWIMC at SH,

Since I have been isolated on my private island for the past week or so, I
may have missed some details.

If anybody is interested, here is my position and thoughts on several of
the points under discussion about membership, dues, and key access.

dues

* regular rate of $35 per month for anybody over age 18

* discount rate for families - $35 per month for first adult, plus $15 per
month for each additional person over age 18, plus $5 per month for kids
under age 18

* discount rate for high school and college students - $15 per month

* discount of 10% off the monthly amount for pre-payment of 3 or more
months for any membership, paid in advance

What happened to the long-discussed "senior discount"?  I brought up the
issue way back in Oct or Nov at one of the first weekly meetings I ever
attended, but no definitive action has ever been taken.

*I suggest that a senior discount be established at the rate of $25 per
month.  *

*membership*

* should be open to all, with exceptions, subject to approval by the
existing membership

* should be denied to illegal immigrants, convicted felons, known drug
users, and anybody on the Ohio/any other state sex offenders list

* should be suspended for members who have not paid their dues after 30days
and rescinded permanently if the dues are not paid after 90days.

*key access*

* should be available to all active members (over age 18) in good standing,
on written request and after a discussion of the request at a weekly
meeting, with an open vote or consensus by members present (unanimous vote
required)

* should be available to one or both of the parents/guardians of an active
member under age 18 in good standing - the member can have the key, but can
only use it when accompanied by their parent or guardian

* should be immediately rescinded and the key recovered from any member who
fails to lock the building (front door and/or garage door) on exit, if they
are the person responsible for closing the space

* should be immediately rescinded and the key recovered from any member who
shares the key with anybody else not authorized to have key access

-------------------------------

I am in full agreement with the comment by Andrew about minors and their
parents/guardians while at the building.  A minor should never, ever be
left alone in any area of the space (except the bathroom), but must be
under constant supervision by the parent or guardian or a member (as chosen
or approved by the parent or guardian).  Members present should not be
expected or encouraged to "babysit" the younger members while the parent is
outside smoking/chatting/stargazing or engaged in their own project,
ignoring the kid.

For example, if Robert (age 7) would like to have a 2x4 sawed in half on
the chop saw, I would be happy to do it for him, subject to approval by Rob
or Jenny.   If Robert wants to help paint a wall, I would be happy to have
him on the painting team while Rob or Jenny is off doing something else.

Feel free to reply or comment in person.  I am always open to suggestions
and constructive criticism.

Philip