Robert,
It is not unusual to be perplexed by this if there are no commetns explaining that the original developer was attemptting.

#tempNote.getNoteData()#

getNoteDate() is a function or what we call a "method."  tempNote is the variable declaraction that points to an instantiated object, which just means an object that was created initialized into memory was stored into tempNote variable.

tempNote can also be a variable scope like session, application or client.  You can store functions into other scopes for reusability.  Functions are considered complex data types, which means that you can store arrays, structures, queries, objects in the scope.  Session and application allow complex data, where client scope does not.  Client scope is just for string list of key and value pairs.

Scope just refers to what location information is stored.  By default if you do not prefix a variable, CF will search all scopes until it finds the one referenced, assuming that it exists.

Hope that helps,
Teddy