From: Mischa Uppelschoten ext 10 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:55 AM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: re: [ACFUG Discuss] DATA MINING!

Wow, that site looks complex to me. I think you're going to spending lots
and lots of time trying to retrieve useful data from page layout... have you
seen the javascript links? The dynamic page numbering? IMHO, that is going
to be a nightmare.
The main problem I see with spending that much time is that you're creating
programmatic access to a datasource that doesn't change, so you can
basically throw away all your hard work when you have what you need.
Two suggestions:
1. ask the manufacturer for a clean list of these parts or find another site
that employs less trickery
2. manually copy and paste the pages into something (Excel, Access) and then
cleanup. This will get rid of all formatting and html. This is easy to farm
out to someone else. I truly believe that this is at least as fast as trying
to do it through http, especially if you're not well versed with
cfhttp/regex.

Hope that helps!
/m

Hi all.

Good to see all at the meeting last night.
Data Mining.................

I am gearing up to do some data mining from some sites.
Preech told me about <cfhttp> to make this work.

You gurus out there if you have a second. Do you see any problems with
mining the content of:
http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm

The site lists years, then models, then categorys for that yr/mdl, then
lists a picture, and a list of items, part numbers, and notes.

I need to get ALL this data for all years, models, categories, images, item
number, item desc, part no, and notes.

Does this site seem friendly enough to start my journey towards this
required result?

Any rough draft hints on where to start?

This will me my first CF code creating adventure.

Robert P. Reil
Managing Director,
Motorcyclecarbs.com, Inc.
4292 Country Garden Walk NW