From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kevin Ford
Sent: 04/13/2008 1:27 PM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] Doing CF development on a MAC

Being in a stereotypical corporate environment, I have to use a Windows
machine at work but I've used nothing but Macs at home for years. There is
nothing I can't do on my Mac that I can't do on my Windows PC, though as
some have mentioned there are some things in a corporate world that are a
little more efficiently geared towards Windows.

Here are some of the things I use daily on my Mac for development and
work-a-day activities:

*       Eclipse with Flex Builder, CFEclipse, Adobe's ColdFusion extensions
and various other plug-ins.

*       TextMate (my programmers text editor of choice). BBEdit,
TextWrangler (a free editor by the makers of BBEdit), and Smultron are also
good.

*       ColdFusion 8. Since Mac OSX has Apache built-in, I was able to
integrate CF with it fairly easily.

*       Cisco VPN (for connecting to work). I also use Shimo, a fantastic
free front-end for Cisco VPN that makes connecting/disconnecting a breeze.

*       Microsoft Office, in particular Entourage for working with Exchange.

*       Remote Desktop Connection (Microsoft's RDP client).

*       Terminal (OSX's command-line).

*       Safari, Firefox, and Opera for testing.

*       Aqua Data Studio (I use this versus Microsoft's Enterprise Manager
and Oracle's tools)

*       MySQL (for occasional light-weight projects, otherwise I use SQL
Server on our development servers at work)

*       CSSEdit (a great shareware CSS editor)

*       Plaxo (a great free service that I have installed on both my
Exchange calendars and contacts in sync with my home's Address Book and iCal
programs).

*       X-Mind or Freemind (for the occasional mindmap).

*       OmniGraffle (similar to Visio, but in my opinion produces nicer
looking results).

*       Snapz Pro X (I mainly use it for making demos).

*       Yummy FTP (my FTP client of choice, though there are a ton of great
FTP clients for OSX).

*       Adobe Creative Suite.

Some of the above is commercial, some shareware, and some freeware. The most
expensive items were Microsoft Office, Adobe's Creative Suite, and Aqua Data
Studio. Most others are either free or I got through shareware bundles from
macheist.com or macupdate.com. Flex Builder 3 licenses are fully
cross-platform now, greatly simplifying things there. Hope this helps some.

Kevin