Derrick Peavy
Sent from my iPhone
_______________

On Mar 11, 2010, at 15:27, "Charlie Arehart" <char...@carehart.org> wrote:

See. :-) With all due respect and admiration, Steve, that’s just the sort of attitude I’m railing against. I think it’s just dead wrong to flatly reject the tag outright, suggesting that it should N EVER be used. :-)

Again, I get that for SOME people and for SOME situations, there may be reasons that it doesn’t work for you. Goodness, that’s true with just about anything, right?

But before accepting that bold dismissal, I hope that some who’ve he ard only that sort of ill regard for it will take a look at the arti cle I pointed out below, where I highlighted a few ways that CFFORM and its subsidiary tags have evolved fairly significantly over the y ears. Some of them are quite valuable, such as the “submitonce” validation that was added to help prevent users from hitting submit twice on a form, or the cfinput type=”datefield” which offers a very useful popup calendar.

Granted, many have the chops and motivation to craft such features by hand or may choose to use scripts (or entire libraries) they get from elsewhere, and there’s no denying that becoming versed in a new ajax library can bring still more value in features that perhaps Ad obe hasn’t yet implemented.

But my whole point is that for a great majority of users, having the feature built-in without any need for coding is simply a valuable asset that shouldn’t be dismissed so readily and completely. Again, I’d recommend people take in the various perspectives but give cauti on to outright dismissals. That just isn’t due diligence.

But hey, mine is indeed just one person’s opinion. I don’t expect it to carry any more weight than others.

/charlie

PS Here’s the PDF url again:

CFFORM: Are You Sure You Want to Ignore It?
http://www.carehart.org/articles/#2007_3

From: ad...@acfug.org [mailto:ad...@acfug.org] On Behalf Of Steve Ross
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:42 PM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] validating credit card numbers with CF

Well the problem with CFFORM is that it will burn you. I have stopped using it as a result. It is easier to know what is going to happen when there isn't some blackbox trying to do whatever you think you want for you. This is especially the case with all the built in ajax stuff. Do yourself a favor and NEVER use it unless you you are doing some one off ad hoc page that will be thrown away. However, we all know how rarely that happens and typically you will come back to it and have to rewrite when some bug hits later on down the line.

Ok I'll stop ranting... back to flex.