From: ad...@acfug.org [mailto:ad...@acfug.org] On Behalf Of Frank Moorman
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:01 PM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] validating credit card numbers with CF

I definitely agree with Steve. Once bitten, twice shy. I enjoy the things
that CF does for me on the server side, but I use my own javascript and Ajax
on the client side. One of the reasons is the form validation I mentioned
earlier, but the other is that I was starting with Ajax before CF8 was even
released. I have already created code and ways to do things that work. I am
sure that everyone will agree that it is not wise to fix code that is not
broken.

Going forward, I still do not plan on using CF's ajax or even CFFORM. In my
mind it is easier to keep consistency in the code base and do everything the
same way across different pages. Unless there is a compelling reason to
justify spending the time to use a new way. Once you have the logic and
common javascript libraries in place, it is really just as easy to "roll
your own" code as it is to use CF's implementation. I admit that I did not
know of the new form features for "submitonce" or "datefield" that Charlie
mentioned, but I have already solved these issues in my own custom code.

I agree with Steve's reasoning and while I am a supporter of CF, by using my
own work on the front-end, it will make it easier for me to change the back
end if I ever have the need or requirement. (For the record, I also believe
in avoiding any proprietary SQL commands to always keep porting options
open.)

Now I do agree with Charlie in that the client side features of CF are very
useful and they also have the huge benefit of making it quicker and easier
to develop and roll out new applications. But in my mind the big issue is
where you want to spend your time debugging? Javascript can be a huge pain
to debug, but it is better than being forced to find a workaround or wait
until Adobe patches a problem in CF. (I believe that CF is well tested, but
errors do occur and when the big ones happen, managers do not like being
told it can't be fixed...)

--Frank