Ajas,

I had a major performance problem with the processing time of CFDOCUMENT when creating PDFs using images in CF9. Creating a pdf would use all my Java heap memory and crash if I had a lot of images. As few as 25 low-resolution images (1024x768) in a single pdf could potentially bring my server to a screeching halt. It gave me many sleepless nights until I finally found the answer on Rupesh Kumar's blog:
http://www.rupeshk.org/blog/index.php/2007/12/images-and-cfdocument-performance/

All I would say is just be on the lookout for performance issues. (The problem above was due to a bug dealing with images in the underlying Java advanced imaging library.)

--Frank

Ajas Mohammed wrote:
I have the means i.e T SQL to call the object but I guess its time to use CF 9 built in features. Let me give a background of whats going on.

We use this object or COM rather since CF 6.1, CF 7 to merge pdf's, form fields etc. We had problems then and even now, when we moved to CF 9 in Nov 2010, the problems still continue. We know CF 8 and CF 9 have better capabilities now to handle pdf's merging, form fields etc and I think thats the direction we will go from here, since its a random headache every now and then, when everything starts to blow up.

So cfpdf and cfpdfform, here I come. :-)

Apart from this, the text we use for cfdocument has http url for images and I have seen from blog posts that you are better off using localurl attribute to save resources and improve performance of CFDocument.

Let me know if any one has CFDocument best practices. I have already listed localURL part. ;-)

<Ajas Mohammed />
http://ajashadi.blogspot.com
We cannot become what we need to be, remaining what we are.
No matter what, find a way. Because thats what winners do.
You can't improve what you don't measure.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

COM events would be logged in Application. The entry you show does not seem related to COM. I think your best bet is to either wait for or provoke a problem and look in App log for that time period. Do you have any means of calling that object from another platform like .Net or T-SQL?