Just to clarify... .htaccess can also redirect and not just block content.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_rewrite.html
It could be used to block or just redirect bad guys to a logging page, suspected bad guys to a limited site index and all others to your regular site.
That's all. I'll shut up about apache now. :)
mf