Thanks Charlie.

The real solution would be sfspreadsheet = "update" to work as posted in my
post/email just prior to this. The idea to delete the spreadsheet was me
trying to figure out a work around for the update not working.

Any help with that (from anyone in the know) would be greatly appreciated.

The version of CF is 9,0,0,251028. I got an email from the hosting company
(Hostek) about updating my server to a CF10 server this morning. So if this
is an issue with CF 9,0,0,251028 and updating to a CF10 server would solve
the problem then I'll go that route. If there is just something I'm not
seeing in the code that is a quicker fix, I'll do that and the
upgrade/update the server over the weekend.

Once again on this is the error I'm getting:

An exception occurred while using action=update.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The workbook already contains a
sheet
of this name

When I run this code that is reading a blank xls template, plugging in data
and trying to save it. The problem seems to be that the first spreadsheet
read is reading both sheets and then subsequently saving both sheets and
then when I try to do the update it says that the sheet already exists.

<cfspreadsheet action="read"
src="#application.rootDir#assets\C3d\IgG_Single_Template.xlsm"
name="Patient_Output" sheet="1">
<cfspreadsheet action="read"
src="#application.rootDir#assets\C3d\IgG_Single_Template.xlsm"
name="newCalc_P1" sheet="2">
<cfset
SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,patientResults.patientName,7,5)>
<cfset SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,patientResults.clinic,8,5)>
<cfset
SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,DateFormat(patientResults.patientDOB,"mm/dd/yyyy"),9,5)>
<cfset
SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,DateFormat(patientResults.sampleDate,"mm/dd/yyyy"),10,5)>
<cfset
SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,DateFormat(patientResults.reportDate,"mm/dd/yyyy"),11,5)>
<cfset SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,patientResults.doctor,12,5)>
<cfset SpreadsheetSetCellValue(Patient_Output,"link goes here",13,3)>
<!--- remove columns that should not be displayed in the charts --->
<cfset assayList = ListDeleteAt(getIgG.columnList,
ListFindNoCase(getIgG.columnList,"IgGID"))>
<cfset assayList = ListDeleteAt(assayList,
ListFindNoCase(assayList,"IgGValuesID"))>
<cfset assayList = ListDeleteAt(assayList,
ListFindNoCase(assayList,"patientID"))>
<cfset writeRow = 1>
<cfset writeColAdd = 0>
<cfloop list="#assayList#" index="curAssay">
 <!--- Determine what row to write the value to. --->
 <cfset writeRow = ++writeRow>
    <cfif writeRow eq 46>
     <cfset writeRow = 2>
  <cfset writeColAdd = writeColAdd + 7>
    </cfif>
 <cfset curAssayValue = "getIgG.#curAssay#">
    <!--- Determine what column to write the value to. --->
 <cfif Evaluate(curAssayValue) lt 1>
     <cfset writeCol = 2 + writeColAdd>
    <cfelseif Evaluate(curAssayValue) gte 1 AND Evaluate(curAssayValue) lt
2>
     <cfset writeCol = 3 + writeColAdd>
    <cfelseif Evaluate(curAssayValue) gte 2 AND Evaluate(curAssayValue) lt
3>
     <cfset writeCol = 4 + writeColAdd>
    <cfelseif Evaluate(curAssayValue) gte 3 AND Evaluate(curAssayValue) lt
4>
     <cfset writeCol = 5 + writeColAdd>
    <cfelseif Evaluate(curAssayValue) gte 4>
     <cfset writeCol = 6 + writeColAdd>
    </cfif>
    <!--- Write the value to cell. --->
    <cfset
SpreadsheetSetCellValue(newCalc_P1,Evaluate(curAssayValue),writeRow,writeCol)>
    <cfset theValue = SpreadsheetGetCellValue(newCalc_P1,writeRow,writeCol)>

</cfloop>
<!--- Write both sheets to the new file. --->
<cfspreadsheet action="write" filename="#theFile#" name="Patient_Output"
overwrite="true">
<cfspreadsheet action="update" filename="#theFile#" name="newCalc_P1"
sheetname="newCalc_P1">
<!--- Redirect user to the patient spreadsheet. --->
<cflocation url="/C3d/individual_results/#patientResults.lname#.xlsm">