Chris, sadly there’s no simple answer to your question 1.

Are you trying to run CF11 on the same machine as CF9? That could have problems
due to web server configuration issues. Are you putting it on a new machine?
That could go well, but since this is IIS I’ll note that you could unexpectedly
bring “old” cf9 configuration settings with you when you move your web site
code, as the web.config file in the root may have been edited by CF, IIS, or
someone there, and it will be read by IIS on the “new” machine (or a new site
in the current machine if you’re not moving to a new one).

Beyond that, are you installing CF11 as a download from last week or later? If
so, that has update 3 already applied. If it’s an older installer, note that
you’ll need to apply update 3 and rebuild your web server connector (created by
the initial install). For some folks, that’s easy. For others (even with years
of experience), that can be a hassle, and mistakes (or failing to do it) could
leave things busted.

Another issue is that CF11 (and 10) offer a “secure profile” option, which
often folks will presume they want (for improved security) but they may find
that some aspects of their code may fail or not work well because of this new
more secured environment.

Separately, there’s another security issue which could hurt you depending on
the exact version of CF9 you were running. If it was 9.0.2, you’re ok. If it
was 9..0.0 or 9.0.1, then it depends on whether you had applied a couple of
security updates released in 2011 and 2012 (or the latest cumulative hotfix for
those releases which included them).  If you did not, then when you move to
CF10 or 11, those will include the security fixes, and you may find problems
because of that changed behavior--which you WOULD have hit on 9 but did not
because you’d not applied those updates.

Of course, beyond that, any move from one release to another CAN have problems
due to compatibility changes in code. There are relatively few of those,
thankfully, but do see the “what’s new” docs for 11 and 10 for more.

All that said, there are no problem with respect to your questions 2 and 3.

As for question 4, the upgrade can take literally just minutes if all goes
well. The problem is if anything goes wrong. Then you may be totally screwed
for hours if you don’t quickly find/resolve the problem.

So are you attempting things on a test server first? That would be very wise
(even so, if your test server does not completely model your prod one, you
could have things go fine in test and then go poorly in prod).

You mentioned being open to assistance.  While a hosting company may help,
they’d likely only help if you were moving to their server. Is that what you’re
considering? If not, or if your host cannot help, I’ll just note that there are
folks (myself included) who do CF server troubleshooting. I list them at a
category of my CF411 site, cf411.com/cfconsult.

I can say (as my comments above show) that I have helped hundreds of folks with
this very move. I have blogged many things about it (carehart.org/blog) but if
you want direct help, we could get CF11 installed and working (and deal with
any immediate challenges) in less than an hour, typically. It’s then up to you
to do testing, and I could help with problems as you hit them, or of course I
can help with anticipating problems like I have outlined above.

Hope all that’s helpful.

/charlie