If your point 1 is indeed a question for us, the answer is “yes”. That’s what I
meant in saying “That could have problems due to web server configuration
issues.” It’s something that can very much be brittle. The settings in IIS for
CF9 are quite different from those for CF10 and 11, and often folks will find
that the way things were setup (by CF, in IIS) for 9 will cause problems when
10/11 try to set things up. It’s as if Adobe did things in a way that presumes
a greenfield (no current CF9 config settings in IIS).

The best thing for most would be to run the web server config tool for 9 and
remove the old CF9 settings first, but even that may not be enough for some
people. And of course, if you want to run 9 and 10/11 at the same time, that’s
even tougher because then you can’t remove the old settings.

It’s too much to get into here, and I’ve been meaning to do a blog entry on it
(recently), but have been pressed for time. I’ll just say that if you do it,
and things don’t work, I can help you recover from it, perhaps in just minutes,
but I can’t easily explain it in email here.

You ask, “2. How do I find out if the security updates for 2012 were applied or
not? The server admins who might have done it are out of office now.”. See:

http://www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2012/6/18/what_hotfixes_have_been_applied

And yes, I think you’ll find that Edgeweb would help you with this if you were
moving to their servers. If there was a level of help you needed, they would
likely refer you to me (I have a relationship with them, helping their clients
do server troubleshooting, as I do for anyone in the CF community. For more on
that, see the consulting page at carehart.org, but I see you saying in closing
that getting help is tough. Just know that it need not be on-site, and it need
not take long/be expensive. I can often help solve in minutes what may take
others hours on their own, as this is all I do all day each day. And I’m also
teaching you as we go, so it’s not just a solution but making you more
self-sufficient.)

Hope that helps.

/charlie