On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 22:26:38 +0100, stephane de Labrusse wrote:

>> A list of servers giving the number of active installations and
>> version per country should be pretty safe but a map you can zoom in
>> on and find an individual servers location, even very loosely, I
>> really don't like at all.
>
> we have some examples
>
> here our map (not up to date)
>
> http://batchgeo.com/map/e875e05b857ef93f1ad61ea1e3324fc2
>
> here the neth map
>
> http://www.nethserver.org/phone-home/widget_map.html

The first appears to be far too accurate and if based on IP address could be
way of the mark.

The second I much prefer I'd be happy with that sort of thing down to
county(*) level but that relies on having some accurate means of getting the
location to that level of accuracy. Short of directly asking the customer
for country and county I'm not aware of an automatic system that has that
level of accuracy.

(*) The large administrative areas that contries are divided up into.

--
Cheers
Dave.