It is fun to see servers on a Map, because you see friends around you
and it is interesting to see the repartition per towns in a country.
Indeed if you take as example Australia, quite sure that all are in
the east and it is the same in France, the centre is a desert with no
name.

You can imagine if a professional wants to find new customers, he can
take a look to the implantation of servers inside the country....of
course the accuracy of the Map needs to be wide(Eg: we will never give
the address where you live).

But for the purpose that we needs, it is may be useless. We need at least

- -how many servers per country (based on IP)
- -which versions are installed per country
- -A map to display the results per country (it is nice)

we could generate data each month or each week and once the sql work
is done, we could erase the data gathered and key the sorted result,
hence we can not give IPs we've erased.

Le 26/01/2015 08:16, Jesper Knudsen a écrit :
> The IP address is more than enough to get accurate country data -
> the maxmind DB
> (https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip2-services-and-databases) is quite
> accurate but the perl variants that I have used a more than good
> enough.
>
> IP::Country::Fast; Geography::Countries;
>
> Again, in my humble opinion, its not important to be 100% accurate
> for this purpose. The purpose is to get knowledge about the
> userbase that can be used to set direction for the development of
> the SME server. The country is actually quite irrelevant except if
> new languages ought to be added.
>
> I agree that we should not map down to city - it's irrelevant.
>
> -----Original Message----- From:
> discussion-boun...@lists.contribs.org
> [mailto:discussion-boun...@lists.contribs.org] On Behalf Of Dave
> Liquorice Sent: 26. januar 2015 01:23 To:
> discussion@lists.contribs.org Subject: Re: [discussion] Install
> statistics for SME Server [SMOLT]
>
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 22:26:38 +0100, stephane de Labrusse wrote:
>
>>> A list of servers giving the number of active installations and
>>>  version per country should be pretty safe but a map you can
>>> zoom in on and find an individual servers location, even very
>>> loosely, I really don't like at all.
>>
>> we have some examples
>>
>> here our map (not up to date)
>>
>> http://batchgeo.com/map/e875e05b857ef93f1ad61ea1e3324fc2
>>
>> here the neth map
>>
>> http://www.nethserver.org/phone-home/widget_map.html
>
> The first appears to be far too accurate and if based on IP address
> could be way of the mark.
>
> The second I much prefer I'd be happy with that sort of thing down
> to county(*) level but that relies on having some accurate means of
> getting the location to that level of accuracy. Short of directly
> asking the customer for country and county I'm not aware of an
> automatic system that has that level of accuracy.
>
> (*) The large administrative areas that contries are divided up
> into.
>
> -- Cheers Dave.

- --

Cordialement