Daniel S. Haischt wrote:
Beside that I always thought Snort is first and foremost
an IDS and not an IPS...

It can do both, IIRC.
But commercial IDS/IPS products have been blurring the line between these two purposes for years - upto a point where I think there is no real distinction possible anymore. Just like various "intelligence"-techniques have blurred the line between packet filter and application firewall in the commercial-firewall world.

At least in this respect, pfSense is still a clear packet-filter only ;-)
And ideally, it should stay this way while analyzing packet-content should occur elsewhere (because it also needs much more CPU-power).

cheers,
Rainer