On Sat, Mar 27, 2010, Steve G. wrote:
> I think that people who want to act as spoke-persons, or public relation
> representatives, should keep their mouths shut on un-necessary inflamatory
> statements, because whether they, or we, like it or not, a competitor will
> take advantage of this.

This statement is not wrong, but we need to remember that
 1. A board member and a PR representative are not the same thing.
 2. An elected unpaid job is not the samething as a hired pay job.

When someone volunteers to become a board member, he or she does not get
paid enough (if it isn't clear - isn't paid at all!) to give up their
personal life. They can continue to have personal interests, personal blogs,
and personal political opinions. They can even express them, in any words
they choose. The only line we should draw is using the Amuta's resources
(our mailing list, conference, money, etc.) for personal agenda - and I
don't think this is the case here.

It's not like we have have had so many candidates for this job...

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Sunday, Mar 28 2010, 13 Nisan 5770