Hello All.
I'm a part of a group of 3 C.S. students (all experienced programmers) who are participating in an open-source grid-computing workshop. We are all interested in distributed compilation, and would like to contribute to distCC as part of our workshop.
One thing that struck us is that distCC is a very mature and stable project, and the truth is we're having trouble deciding how exactly we can make a significant contribution to it.
Therefor I'd like to address the developer community of distCC and ask for suggestions on how to contribute to distCC. Our main goal with this year-long workshop is to improve on an existing algorithm by way of distributizing (is that a word?) it. Are there aspects of distCC that could be further seperated and distibuted among machines? We gather that preprocessing is done on a local machine, and then compilation of translation units takes place on peer machines. Would it make any sense, would it be an improvement, to distribute the preprocessing stage itself? Could the compliation process itself be split up into smaller processes that could run in parallel on different machines? These are the sort of enhacements that we are required to implement.

We welcome your suggestions. Like I said, we have 6 somewhat capable programming hands, and we'd like to contribute. Our measure of success for this endeavor (our <ahem> grade) will be the quality of our contribution to the project, in terms of both the perfomance gain for the system and the integration with an existing open-source project. In other words, we mean business. Our contribution has to be significant and we have to follow through with whatever we do.

Assaf Lavie
Tel-Aviv University

__
distcc mailing list            http://distcc.samba.org/