Victor Norman wrote:

Assaf, et al.,

Sometime back I posted a message about "My big plans for distcc".  I have
implemented most of those plans and they are in use here at Marconi.  I have a
compilation farm of linux and solaris boxes of varying CPUs speeds and with
varying numbers of cpus each.  I have also designated one solaris box as my
"host server" and have a program running there that gives out hosts to
compilations, keeps track of which machines ("hosts") in the compilation farm
are available/accessible, gives out status information to other programs, etc.

If you look at that previous posting, you'll see my goals for the project,
which include (as I recall):

o having a heterogenous system (solaris, linux, etc.)
o having the system be load-balancing.
o being able to add and remove hosts from the compilation according to the
machine's load average, whether or not it is in use as a desktop, etc.
o giving out the fastest machines first, so that compilations are the fastest
possible.
o supporting many compilations simultaneously from multiple machines.

The other big thing I'd like is to automatically check versions, making sure that jobs are only sent to machines which have a matching gcc and binutils (as gregkh just discovered).

Now, here is the crucial part that may interest you, Assaf and friends: the
code is all written in python, which is a wonderful language, IMO. But, as Dan
Kegel has suggested, the system may be more widely used, and easier to install
if it were written in C. I agree with him.

I love Python too; I would be happy to ship supporting programs written in it. But ideally this should be built right into distcc, and therefore probably in C.

I wonder if it would be feasible to automatically discover the machines speeds. It would be OK if there were an OS-dependent bit that looked in /proc or similar.

I don't think this would be mere mechanical porting; students could do new development using Victor's code as a prototype.

--
Martin