Assaf Lavie wrote:
Therefor I'd like to address the developer community of distCC and ask for suggestions on how to contribute to distCC. Our main goal with this year-long workshop is to improve on an existing algorithm by way of distributizing (is that a word?) it. Are there aspects of distCC that could be further seperated and distibuted among machines? We gather that preprocessing is done on a local machine, and then compilation of translation units takes place on peer machines. Would it make any sense, would it be an improvement, to distribute the preprocessing stage itself? Could the compliation process itself be split up into smaller processes that could run in parallel on different machines? These are the sort of enhacements that we are required to implement.

The preprocessing has to happen locally, else you have to have a distributed filesystem.

You might productize the idea various people have tried out here
of having a proxy server.  This is useful if you need to
get the most out of a largish cluster.

I may have more to say later, gotta run!
- Dan
__ distcc mailing list http://distcc.samba.org/