Hello John

I'll attempt to actually answer your question instead of just voicing
disagreement with a current proposal about meta-data.

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 10:29:45PM -0500, John Gabriele wrote:
> What is currently the preferred way to specify (in your simple
> setup.py file) that your distribution depends upon a couple of other
> distributions? (All located at the PyPI)

Currently distutils does not support this, all you can do is mention
them in the README.  But setuptools and distribute allow you to
specify dependencies on other distributions.  See
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#declaring-dependencies
for how to do this.

> What is expected to be the standard way to do this in the near future?

Not sure yet, but PEP 345 is laying the foundations for bringing
something very similar to the current setuptools/distribute
functionality into distutils.  The basics will stay the same: you will
be able to declare dependencies on other distributions (not the actual
modules/packages they provide).

Hope that helps
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom