>>> Haven't seen a '386 for over ten years.. Intel have standardised
>>> to calling everything 'Pentium' pretty much since at least 2000.
>> Irrelevant:
>
> I don't see how it is irrelevent that the constants don't
> map to any 'real' machines on the market.

Why do you say that?

py> import platform
py> platform.machine()
'i686'

'i686' maps very well to a real machine on the market, namely to the
machine on which I'm typing this right now.

>> Whereas using the built-in platform identification mechanism
>> would be extremely difficult?
>
> The problem is that you can't buy any machine from the shop called
> 'darwin'. You can't buy any notebook/desktop new machine
> with an i386 processor in it.
>
> Any new kid can't buy a darwin or an i386 notebook.

So what? The kid can type "sys.platform" at the Python prompt,
and then find out what value gets reported.

> We don't use "steam-train" to denote an "ICE" train. It is
> just not right. Sorry.

If you don't like the values that Python reports, get Python
fixed. The PEP will then fix itself automatically, the way
it is specified.

> Starting new PEPs based on erroneous system APIs?

I disagree that the values Python reports are erroneous. They
indicate fairly reliably the relevant characteristics of the
system Python runs on.

Regards,
Martin