P.J. Eby wrote:
the shortcomings of a package manager

Well, technically, this'd be a feature. Granted, it's only a feature for users of projects whose maintainers are *not* keeping a well-groomed PyPI page. ;-)

easy_install has significant market penetration. If you make easy_install believe the meta-data, then you give the project maintainers some incentive to get their meta-data right. That seems more desirable than the current scenario, where a well-behaved project is inconvenienced.

I understand that easy_install has to do a balancing act between enabling bad behaviour by the project maintainers (i.e. it has to work with poorly maintained projects for the benefit of the users) and encouraging good behaviour by the project maintainers (again for the benefit of the users). I just think it is acceptable to give the projects a little incentive to get it right.

Unfortunately, even if I fixed that today, it wouldn't have ANY effect on 99% of the field installations of any Python package management tools: there are still people using 4 or 5 year old versions of easy_install, and a lot of people use Distribute (via their OS install), which is a year behind the setuptools trunk on various things. Most other Python package management solutions are based on top of easy_install in one way or another, as well.

If you fix it now, the fixed version might well displace the earlier versions in another 4 or 5 years. If not, you might be having this same discussion again in 4 or 5 years.