Tarek Ziadé <tarek <at> ziade.org> writes:

> On 9/28/12 12:55 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> >> Last but not least, distlib is the plan forward endorsed by python-dev,
> > Is it? I haven't seen a PEP or an official decision about that. Just because
> > someone proposed it on a mailing-list doesn't mean it is "endorsed by
> > python-dev".
>
> We discussed about this with Vinay, Nick and al on python-dev, based on
> Nick's document
> that describes what 'distlib' is.
>
> The document has changed since then,
> http://python-notes.boredomandlaziness.org/en/latest/pep_ideas
> /core_packaging_api.html

Yep, so it's still a draft, even though it may be promising.

> Now, if you disagree please say it. Or if you need an official decision,
> we need to first declare who is the current packaging BDFL maybe ?
>
> And since you seem interested in the topic maybe you could take that role ?

I have no problem with distlib on the principle. However, if I were the
packaging BDFL, my decision would be "integrate it all in distutils" :-)

By the way, if you want to help with hg.python.org and manage the distlib repo
there, you can send an email on
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure and ask for ssh access
to the virtual machine.

Regards