On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Daniel Holth <dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would think of a git^Wmercurial ID used as the last version component a
> "non-sorting string". It is never intended to actually break a tie between
> two versions; if you do wind up using it to sort then you are in trouble
> (two people published a development version that happened to be n commits
> above the last tag...). The last component only tells you that 1.8.1.301.x
> and 1.8.1.301.y are not the same version, not that one should be greater or
> less than the other.

I agree - that's why I'm going to propose Private-Version as an
*unordered* version label (although the project itself may have a way
to order them), while Version will be the *ordered* version label
actually used by automated tools.

Tools can then use the ".devN" suffix to map arbitrary pre-release
version schemes (including semantic versioning) to the standard
orderable scheme.