On Aug 6, 2013, at 5:22 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> On 6 August 2013 16:59, Christian Theune <c...@gocept.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for all the feedback, I'll calm down a bit and ponder some more
>> structured reply.
>>
>> However, you're responding to the technicalities. I didn't see any
>> consideration to the user pain. It seems irrelevant. Almost like arguing
>> with the TSA about taking off your shoes.
>
> User pain is the only reason for not making the change tomorrow.
> People need time to adjust, or to propose alternative solutions.

My reasoning for picking 4 months total on the migration is that an individual
user switching their mirror hostnames is a relatively quick process (maybe a
few days in a really big case) and anyone that doesn't hear about this change
within a few months is highly unlikely to learn about it in a larger period of
time. Humans are generally deadline-driven, so moving the dealing back doesn't
get us much except moving the conversion work back with it. Basically I think
paste the 6-8 weeks mark, we are just hitting the long tail in terms of actual
benefit to users, and it is better to just break the system and force them to
notice they need to fix things (since one reason for doing this is current
system is unsafe and allowing that to exist for another year is not really on
my list).

--Noah