On Aug 21, 2013, at 5:27 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 August 2013 09:56, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
> > ISTM distlib is not yet that reference library - it's just another library
> > for most people, judging from the low level of feedback I've had overall.
>
> That's totally fine. We just need to be clear that it's not the reference
> library and is instead one implementation.
>
> Yep, there's certainly been a perception that distlib is the reference
> implementation. Apologies if I perpetuated that.
>
> We do have a slightly different issue then, in that there *isn't* a reference
> implementation for a lot of this stuff... (I guess wheel counts as the
> reference implementation for wheel, doh, so that part's covered). People are
> starting to write code to use these new facilities, so having an actual
> reference implementation is important (IMO, that's one area where
> packaging/distutils2 got in a mess, so I'm concerned we don't fall into the
> same trap). We need people using the new stuff to help us identify potential
> issues.

I might see about making a stripped down library which only implements the PEPs
and nothing else.

> Paul
>
> PS Apologies if I appear to be a little irritable on this subject. I have a
> series of scripts that maintain a local cache of wheels for various projects.
> I'm starting to hit cases where the wheels aren't usable because of subtle
> differences in how the spec's being implemented, and it feels like I'm trying
> to hit a moving target, which is what I thought having the wheel 1.0 PEP
> accepted was designed to avoid.

Can you send me a list (or post them here) of what issues you've hit? The
biggest one i'm aware of is the scripts problem which is a fundamental problem
with the 1.0 Wheel (or rather that any library with console entry points cannot
be universal).

Donald Stufft