On Aug 21, 2013, at 6:36 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 August 2013 11:30, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2013, at 6:29 AM, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
>
>> introspecting the author email address
>
> Of course I wrote that and then did summary because the location of the
> author email address changed between Metadata 1.x and 2.x and I didn't feel
> like looking up the exact difference.
>
> :-)
>
> So would you see the API for author being
>
> if meta.version < (2, 0):
>     author = meta["whatever_it_is_in_1.x"]
> else:
>     author = meta["whatever_it_is_in_2.x"]
>
> (i.e., the metadata version would be available)?
>
> Sounds like a sensible approach.
>
> Paul.

Yes, and possibly some sort of compat shim could be made to smooth over the
differences if it was felt to be warranted.

But in general I'm very much in favor of composed APIs instead of having things
like WheelMetadata, Sdist2Metadata, InstalledDBMetadata etc. Less code and
easier to switch out pieces (e.g. in your own code you wouldn't need to change
the metadata handling based on if it was a Wheel or a Sdist2, just load the
appropriate file type and pass the mapping into the Metadata api).

Donald Stufft