On 29 January 2014 23:59, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> goes further than the current EXTENSIONS approach - this proposal
>> would be akin to *requiring* an empty EXTENSIONS file, and/or the
>> setuptools zip_safe flag in order to allow mounting of even the pure
>> Python wheel. Such a conservative approach is also the antithesis of
>> the setuptools "attempt to guess": if the package publisher doesn't
>> explicitly opt in to zip support, then distlib.mount would assume that
>> it is *not* supported (but may provide an API for the caller to
>> override that, like "assume_zip_safe=True" or "force=True").
>
> I have no problem with adding wheel metadata to allow/disallow even
> adding to sys.path - it's effectively just like another step in the
> compatibility check. It would make most sense to place this in the
> WHEEL metadata, rather than pydist.json or similar, since it relates to
> the contents of a particular wheel rather than the distribution in
> general.

Oh, an "Import-compatible" flag in the WHEEL metadata? Yeah, I like it.

Noted as an issue for wheel 1.1:
https://bitbucket.org/pypa/pypi-metadata-formats/issues?component=Wheel

>> However, like Paul, I have some concerns about a still experimental
>> API like that being in the metadata 2.0 reference implementation,
>> since that will likely end up having to deal with stdlib-like levels
>> of backwards compatibility requirements, and removing experimental
>> APIs that we later decided we weren't happy with could prove
>> problematic.
>
> But we're talking about the Python 3.5 time-frame here, and 3.4 isn't even
> out yet. ISTM there is plenty of time to get these sorts of issues ironed
> out. While I tend to favour backward compatibility wherever possible,
> distlib is nowhere near 1.0, and so distlib users (a small number, from
> what I can see) could expect some API breakage if there's no sensible
> alternative.

Yeah, I think I'm just nervous because sitting down and properly
reviewing the distlib API is somewhere in the middle of a gigantic
todo list :)