On the one hand, it's easy to see the allure of a zipimport-able format.
Grab a file, import it, use functionality straight away. It has an
attraction of self-containedness. On the other hand, python's dynamic
nature means that things are not as simple as Java jar's as Donald points
out. I agree that wheels shouldn't officially support this feature
wholesale. However, perhaps they could do so conditionally? E.g. designate
some mechanism by which it is possible to inspect a wheel and determine
that it intends to explicitly be zipimport compatible. A prime candidate
would be that the wheel is of a purelib in nature, another would be to add
a top-level file or metadata indicating such (e.g. '.zipimportable'). But
other wise I agree that we should explicitly seek to avoid any language
that could lead users to expect this functionality of wheels wholesale in
any way, even though they happen to be regular zip files.