On Jan 29, 2014, at 11:50 PM, Tres Seaver <tsea...@palladion.com> wrote:

> Signed PGP part
> On 01/29/2014 06:55 PM, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:
>
> > If you are going to document this, and it is not going to be
> > explicitly supported by the spec (it isn't), the _only_ logical thing
> > is to document that this is undefined behavior and while it works now,
> > people should not depend on it. Under no circumstance should we
> > document this as "well it works right now" without guidance about the
> > fact that it isn't part of the spec and is _not_ a candidate for
> > future design decisions. If someone would like to propose amending the
> > spec that can happen separately, but as it stands right now this is
> > nothing but convenient, undefined behavior.
>
> Nick's point in this thread is that zip-importability is a *necessary
> corrolary* (not an implementation detaiL) of the "no special installers"
> design choice.
>
> - Given that there is a non-empty set of wheels which can be unpacked
>   to a filesystem-directory tree in a directory on sys.path, and that
>   some of those wheels are already known not to otherwise break zip-
>   importability, it is a logical necessity that such wheels can be
>   put onto sys.path without unpacking.  We already have existence proof
>   for this in software being released *by the folks who made these
>   specs*.
>
> Noting is as such is the *point* of Nick's change.
>

> Tres.
> --

I can't believe folks are unable to differentiate between the difference of
"It's possible to do so because we didn't actively attempt to prevent it" and
"This is a documented goal of the format and thus must be considered as part of
the backward compatibility contract that the format has whenever changes are
made to the format".

The first option is, as far as I can tell, what the PEP read as and the
discussion, that occurred in public at least, read as. However since the change
Nick made he's shifted it from the first to the second type of "supports".

At this point I can only imagine people are being willfully ignorant because
they want this particular feature and don't want to have it available to be
discussed as per the PEP process and are actively attempting to sidestep the
process. I'm very explicitly trying not to argue for or against this feature,
although I believe it a bad idea, but instead that before we commit to
promising that Wheels will be zip importable by simply adding them to sys.path
that we *need* to discuss it and figure out what the contract we're providing
for that is.

Donald Stufft