On 29 January 2014 22:50, David Cournapeau <courn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i.e. it would be nice if anyone setup to build C extensions could "just
>> build numpy".
>
> This has always been possible, and if not, that's certainly considered as a
> bug (I would be eager to fix).

I don't know if you saw my comment earlier in this thread:

> A quick test later:
> No BLAS/ATLAS/LAPACK causes a string of warnings, And ignoring the
> rest of the error stack (which I'm frankly not interested in investing
> the time to diagnose and fix) I get "RuntimeError: Broken toolchain:
> cannot link a simple C program". Which is utter rubbish - I routinely
> build extensions with this installation.

This is a straight "pip install numpy" run in a virtualenv on Windows
7 64-bit with MSVC 2010 (full edition) installed. I still don't have
the time to do detailed diagnosis or digging, but if you cannot
generate the same error yourself I can rerun the command and put the
output into a bug report if that helps. (Please provide a link to the
bug tracker, I didn't see it mentioned on www.numpy.org or on the pypi
page for numpy).

Paul