> "Local version" in the PEP corresponds to the distro "release" concept

roger, but the question is what's the "local version scheme" in rpm/deb
world for a distro "release"?

"version" comes from the packaged project (which is upstream to the distro)
"release" comes from the distro.(which is upstream to "me")
so how do I properly tack on a "local version"?

Barry's example from debian/ubuntu was: <release><tag><N>  (e.g.
"2ubuntu3", where "2" was debian's release)
Your answer was <release>.<N>  (e.g.  "0.1")

My concern with your answer is that looks like an upstream post-release?

In general, it sounds like there is no formal concept in rpm/deb for this,
so people just cook their own approach.