On 04-09-14 19:54, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Sep 04, 2014, at 10:39 AM, Marcus Smith wrote:

>wouldn't that only update it for the*next*  release of debian/ubuntu?
Generally yes.  There's also backports, but that's more effort.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports
https://wiki.debian.org/Backports

For my usecase it is mostly that I have a colleague that keeps doing absolute magic with gdal. And when he says "this calculation can be done with 30% of the effort if we use the one-month-old gdal version", then you need *very* up to date ubuntu packages :-)

We did use (for this case) the ubuntugis-stable PPA, but that broke a number of our servers somewhere in May or so as it also updated some other dependency which caused breakage.

So... that's why Wheels started to sound nice. And compiling wheels yourself and placing them on a server in a directory with various wheels for a specific distribution... Sounds like the most standard option right now.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                          http://reinout.vanrees.org/
rein...@vanrees.org                   http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/