On 05-09-14 10:00, Andrew Straw wrote:

On 5 Sep 2014, at 9:52 AM, Reinout van Rees <rein...@vanrees.org> wrote:

So... that's why Wheels started to sound nice. And compiling wheels yourself
and placing them on a server in a directory with various wheels for a specific
distribution... Sounds like the most standard option right now.

I haven’t tried it myself but this may also be interesting:
https://github.com/spotify/dh-virtualenv

Agreed, looks interesting. I watched the youtube video of the europython Berlin talk about it.

In a way it was what caused my original question :-)
Why? With dh-virtualenv you can have a debian package with debian dependencies and a virtualenv all ready to go.

So... what do you do with debian-level dependencies and how do you tell pip you've got them? Or can you perhaps easily use wheels and get those into the virtualenv and thus into the debian package?

So I started thinking and started asking :-)

My current thinking is as follows:

- One or two basic ubuntu-based boxes: basic ubuntu with a special custom package that pre-installs necessities such as memcached, libjpeg and postgres bindings.

- Wheels created for those one or two basic boxes, in a directory per box-type. This way you have some machinery in just one place where you can create wheels at will for your boxes.

- Regular pip (or buildout once it supports wheels, I haven't checked yet if it does) to manage the python packages.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                          http://reinout.vanrees.org/
rein...@vanrees.org                   http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/