I think package owners have a responsibility to be contactable, but that
the time-frames should be long to allow for the fact people do go off the
grid for valid reasons sometimes. I'd suggest something like 2 months is a
reasonable interval to allow; if contact via email and available social
media fail after 2 months, then broken packages without evidence of
maintenance in the source repository should be moveable.

Inactive, abandoned and nonfunctional packages could be defined as:
  -- Owner uncontactable via email or social media for 2 months
  -- No alternative representative for the package identified
  -- No evidence of maintenance in the source repository for 1 year (?)
  -- Package is not installable via pip install on 2.7 or 3.x

This is as distinct from the squatter clause, which is really about
never-even-started, never-did-anything registrations.

If the original owner wants to keep the name, then I think they get to keep
it regardless of the requesting parties desire to get a hold of it.

Onus should be on the requesting party to supply evidence of the criteria
via the issue tracker.

Making things too complex? Maybe...