On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Numpy's Windows installer bundles several BLAS binaries with different
> levels of SSE and this was the initial reason for not providing Windows
> wheels.

indeed -- but IIRC, SSE2 made a pretty big difference, but SSE3 not so much
-- though, of course, who knows how fabulously useful some future extension
might be...

> The problem is being solved though by switching from ATLAS to OpenBLAS
> which selects different levels of SSE at runtime.
>
> Maybe that approach (runtime machine code selection) is the only way to
> marry the needs of packaging with the desire to fully utilise CPU
> capabilities. It keeps the packaging side simple at the expense of pushing
> the complexity onto the project authors. Though it's probably only viable
> for something like a BLAS library which would often  contain a load of hand
> crafted assembly code anyway.

only viable ,and probably only necessary... I'd be really surprised if SSE2
made any notabel difference in regular old python code.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov