On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 09:25:43 -0700
Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 3:40 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:59:05 -0700
> > Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:
> > >
> > > So even is SSE2 provides little for Python itself, in the usual case,
> > we'll
> > > see performance hits n compiled extensions that are not compiled by
> > > particularly smart people.
> >
> > Since the question is only for 32-bit builds,
>
> IS that the case:
> """
> Note that my recently retired computer was 64 bit and had SSE but didn't
> have SSE2 (I'm fairly sure - CPU was some budget AMD model)
> """
>
> granted, such machines are probably really really rare, but maybe it does
> matter for 64 bit, too?

Unless I'm mistaken, SSE2 is part of the spec for x86-64 (spec which
was originally devised by AMD), so I'm a bit skeptical about a
SSE2-less 64-bit CPU.  Do you have any reference?

> > does this even matter?
> > 32-bit builds on x86 generally bring you poorer performance by
> > themselves,
>
> If a user has a 32 bit machine, they have no choice -- we could argue that
> anyone for whom performance matters probably isn't running an old, cheap
> machine, but still...

The actual question is whether we want to introduce a significant
amount of complexity and overhead for packagers and distributors, for
the benefit of an extremely small users demography that will probably
disappear altogether in a couple of years.

Regards

Antoine.