On Jan 21, 2016 11:43 AM, "Chris Barker" <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:

> nice, idea, but....
>
>     libX11.so.6
>     libXext.so.6
>     libXrender.so.1
>     libGL.so.1
>
> These are all X11, yes? pretty much any workstation will have these, but
in general, servers won't.

> Someone on this thread suggested that that's OK -- don't expect a GUI
package to work on a linux box without a GUI. But some of these libs might
get used for stuff like back-end rendering, etc, so would be expected to
work on a headless box. I think Anaconda an Canopy have gotten away with
this because both of their user bases are primarily desktop data analysis
type of stuff -- not web services, web servers, etc.

I can only speak for myself and my team, but we use Anaconda on servers on
a daily basis, including with libraries like matplotlib to generate images
that are displayed over a web service.

I believe this is a pretty common use case, especially with popular apps
like Jupyter servers.