On 4 May 2016 at 22:33, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:

..> I also believe that we can't provide a replacement for setup.py
without either
> purposely declaring we no longer support something that people used from it or
> providing a way to support that in the new, setup.py-less format.

The thunk I wrote being insufficient?

> One thing I remarked to Nataniel yesterday was that it might be a good idea to
> drop the build system aspect of these for right now (since afaict all the
> invested parties are currently overloaded and/or have a lack of time) and
> focus
> soley on the part of the proposal that enables us to get a real setup_requires

the only reason I got involved in build system discussions was
pushback 18months or so back when I implemented a proof of concept for
pip that just used setup.cfg. I'd be very happy to ignore all the
build system stuff and just do bootstrap requirements in setup.cfg.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcoll...@hpe.com>
Distinguished Technologist