On 6 May 2016 at 06:41, Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 3. The ongoing popularity of setup.cfg shows that while ini-style may
>> not be perfect for this use case, it clearly makes it over the
>> threshold of "good enough"
>
> it's only popular because it's what's there -- if we're using that standard,
> we could make the same argument about setuptools ;-)

That's exactly the course change we made following the release of
Python 3.3 - rather than trying to replace setuptools directly, the
scope of our ambitions was narrowed to eliminating the need to run
"./setup.py install", while keeping setuptools as the default build
system used to enable things like generating wheel files ("./setup.py
bdist_wheel" doesn't work if you're importing setup from
distutils.core - you have to be importing it from setuptools. If you
have a setup.py file that imports from distutils.core, you have to use
"pip wheel" if you want to get a wheel file)

>> So when I ask myself now "What's the *simplest* thing we could do that
>> will make things better than the status quo?", then the answer I come
>> up with today is your original idea: bless setup.cfg (or at least a
>> subset of it) as a standardised interface.
>
> IIUC, we would be changin, or at least adding to the current setup.dfg spec.
> So this is a change, no matter how you slice it, saying "configuration will
> be specified in setup.something, in some other format, is the least
> significant part of all this change.
>
> And maybe it's good to keep "new style" configuration clearly separate.

Part of my motivation for suggesting re-using setup.cfg is the
proliferation of packaging related config sprawl in project root
directories - setup.py won't be going anywhere any time soon for most
projects, some folks already have a setup.cfg (e.g. to specify
universal wheel creation), and there's also MANIFEST.in to control
sdist generation.