On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 11:32:33PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> What are these things that aren't pip-installable and why isn't the
> solution to fix that?

Things that are not pip-installable that I've personally missed include:

- pygame (there are a bunch of tickets in their bug tracker, and
  upstream is working slowly to fix them, just ... very slowly)

- pygobject (plus you need gobject-introspection files for all the
  libraries you want to actually use, like GLib, Pango, Cairo, and GTK
  itself, and those aren't on PyPI either)

> We've spent a huge amount of effort on reaching the point where pretty
> much everything *can* be made pip installable. Heck, *PyQt5*, which is
> my personal benchmark for a probably-totally-unpackageable package,
> announced last week that they now have binary wheels on pypi for all
> of Win/Mac/Linux:
>
>   https://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyQt5/5.6

Doesn't seem to work for me, with pip 8.1.1 on a 64-bit Linux machine:

  $ pip install pyqt5
  Collecting pyqt5
    Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement pyqt5 (from
versions: )
  No matching distribution found for pyqt5

Marius Gedminas
--
Shift happens.
                -- Doppler